What Makes Ampion Different?
Ampion works in COVID-19 and other inflammatory diseases because it stops the body’s runaway inflammatory response to infection or injury. There are many anti-inflammatory medicines in use and in development, but Ampion is different for several reasons:
- Ampion is a platform drug. Instead of being of use in only one specific indication, Ampion’s anti-inflammatory effects make it a potential therapy for a wide range of diseases, such as COVID-19, ARDS, osteoarthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, and kidney inflammation.
- Ampion works on multiple pathways of inflammation, while most anti-inflammatory drugs and monoclonal antibodies target only one. Inflammation is an important, even essential part of the immune response, so if one pathway is blocked, the body often finds ways around the block and the inflammation continues.
- Ampion not only inhibits inflammation, it also promotes healing. In the body’s natural process, inflammation is followed by healing. Ampion restores this balance and attracts cytokines and proteins that begin the healing of damaged tissue.
- Ampion is safe. It is derived from a human blood-based product that has been used safely for over 70 years. Many other anti-inflammatory drugs, such as steroids, have significant side effects.
- Ampion offers flexibility in delivery method. Its ability to be delivered directly via injection, systemically via IV, or into the lungs via nebulizer or inhaler allows both targeted local treatment and systemic treatment throughout the body, which reinforces its strengths as a platform drug.
Ampion regulates the immune response
Ampion uses the power of the immune response and is in development to treat osteoarthritis, respiratory illness due to COVID-19, and a wide range of other debilitating and life-threatening inflammatory conditions.